Gerry and Pam Reid's BS for a Great Marriage
Permission granted to anyone who wishes post
this article on the internet provided the following copyright notice and hyper-links are
- © Copyright 1991 Gerry Reid, home page at
URL=http://www.gerryreid.com/ E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Permission granted to anyone who wishes to print, copy and
distribute this article provided the following copyright notice, name, phone number and
addresses are included:
- © Copyright 1991 Gerry Reid. Gerry may be contacted at Gerry
Reid Speaking, 4333 Essex Court, Flower Mound, Texas 75028 Phone: 214-316-1400, e-mail
From the I was Just Thinking About BS,
Yours is Great Newsletter
Vol. 1 No. 4, September, 1991. Copyright 1991 Gerry Reid, all rights reserved.
MARRIAGE IS A LOT OF BS!
My wife Pam and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on
June 25, 1991. "Thank You" to the many of you who remembered us. BSer Jan wrote "I hope you will share your BS for
a happy marriage in one of your newsletters." Well Jan, here goes (There is a scoring system for rating your own marriage.):
Gerry and Pam's 20 Belief Systems for a Blessed Spousehood
- Big Smiles - Say "I Love You" every
- Bear Squeezes - Give hugs every day.
- Balanced Schedule - Make time for each other.
- Byword Signature - A code just between the two
- Babble Simply - Argue with intelligence and
- Blame Self - Admit when you are wrong.
- Banquet Spreads - Go out to dinner once a
- Bare Soul - Be the closest of friends, cry
- Block Sarcasm - Communicate calmly and
- Battle Sincerely - Agree to disagree,
- Be Seductive - Clothing, cologne, champagne,
- Beautiful Sex - Take time and make love well.
- Boundless Secrets - Share your inner thoughts.
- Broadcast Support - Publicly praise each other.
- Buttock Strokes - Love pats whenever you pass.
- Beautify Spouse - Adorn each other w/gifts and
- Balmy Seashores - One vacation and two weekend
getaways every year.
- Be Spontaneous - Be willing to do things on the
spur of the moment.
- Bypass Sermons - Your BS might NOT be
- Believe Success - and you will achieve it.
Rate yourself on how often you apply each BS item in your
5 = Always
4 = Most of the time
3 = Usually
2 = Every so often
1 = Seldom
0 = Never
Score yourself as follows:
80-100 You are very wise! (or are newlyweds.)
60-79 Keep working on it!
40-59 Get some help.
20-39 Get a lawyer.
0-29 Get a good lawyer!
Here are some thoughts of what you can do with this BS:
1) Score yourself.
2) Score your spouse.
3) Have your spouse score themselves.
4) Have your spouse score you.
5) Discuss the results of 1-4 with each other. How can you
improve your low scores? How can you maintain the highs?
6) Come up with a mutually acceptable rating, a consensus
between the two of you. Create a written plan to improve all items not rated a 5.
7) Post the plan and make it happen.
8) Let us in on your